Photo by Rene Elliott. Comments by Rene Elliott and others.
Rene Elliott
This of course is the oldest building, just not original to the fairgrounds, being relocated from up rt 51 in Burlington, and moved around 1982? to Morris. Formerly the Town of Burlington District Number Nine School.
Frank Rock
Came from Curtis Ackerman's farm on State Rt.51 between Garrattsville and West Burlington
The horse stables, since moved from where it stood about where you cross the present racetrack, and altered for a sheep barn, one of the older buildings on the fairgrounds, it's upstairs floor (hayloft) removed.
photo by Rene Elliott, comments courtesy of Janet Washbon, Gary Norman, and Rene Elliott.
Janet Washbon
In the Morris Chronicle of 13 April 1898, A.S. Avery wrote: “Later, the old red store was moved down Broad street, and was used as a tin shop by Church & Briggs and afterwards by Jackson & Briggs. It has been in many hands since then in 1868 was used as a dry goods store by Beekman & Ward, and is now [1898] owned and occupied by Seymour and Frank Isbell.”
John H. Elliott, called "Uncle Jack" (so as not to confuse him with John T. Elliott or his son of same name), a teamster, noted horse trainer and horse doctor, and plowed the village streets and sidewalks after William Churchill, and before Frank took over plowing the street and George the sidewalks with a single horse (that plow now on display at the fairgrounds). That was a pretty good snow storm.